Wednesday, December 10, 2008

First Haircut


Saturday was the big day. I've been putting it off for a couple of months. Munchkin Man was born with a lot of dark hair, but eventually just lost it. He's been bald for so long, except for this patch in the back that he just never lost. I have just been stubborn about getting his haircut, refusing to do so until he had some on top too.

He still doesn't have a lot on top, but he does have some and the back was looking a little ragged, I must admit. However, there is just something about getting that first haircut. I guess it just makes him into more of a little boy instead of a baby. Since he is the only baby I will have, I was just completely reluctant to give it up.

On Saturday, though, I gave in. After having spent a week at Thanksgiving with my ever so blunt, "loving" big brother. Who kept telling everyone that my child had a "mullet". A mullet, can you believe he said that about my adorable child, one of his only two nephews! He knew he was pushing my buttons. No one can push your buttons like a sibling, not even a spouse. I guess it is just too much shared common history or something. Anyway, he pushed those buttons and he knew he did, but that didn't stop him, until I had to threaten him. Not often do I do such mean things to him, but come on now, telling a Mom her baby has a mullet, now that is just hitting below the belt, even for a big brother!

I didn't know what to expect when we went to get the haircut. I asked my friend, who cuts my hair, if she wanted to give him his first haircut and she said of course. I've heard from other Mom's that their kids were wild or screamed or cried the entire time, so I wasn't sure how the Munchkin Man would react. When we arrived, she had a booster stool for him and we put him on it. She even had a little bitty cape, just his size, with wild animals all over it. He looked at it for a minute and then looked at me like he wasn't quite sure what to expect. My friend gave us an envelope that she had written his name, "First Haircut" and the date on, to hold the clippings of his first haircut. My Mom was here visiting us, so she gathered the hair, while my friend cut and I fired off the camera every few seconds, recording the haircut for Dad, big brother and Uncle "Mullet" to see that my child was now "mullet-free".

I have to say he did beautifully. He sat perfectly still, he never said a word. Of course, I really think he was desperately trying to figure out what on earth was going on around him. He looked a little puzzled at times, but even gave me a smile once or twice. He just acted like such a big boy, sitting there getting his haircut. Almost made Mommy cry, almost. I can't believe he is 18 months old, seems he was just born yesterday. Time needs to slow down a little bit. I'm trying to savor ever minute I can.

No comments: